ÐÔÊӽ紫ý

Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Moseley: Community must work together to address Longview homelessness

Sally Moseley

IÐÔÊӽ紫ý™d like to add my voice to the homelessness issue being addressed in Longview. I am in a unique position as I have spent my career working in mental health, including many years in community mental health.

I am also married to the co-owner of MoseleyÐÔÊӽ紫ý™s Appliances next door to One Love Longview on McCann Road. I believe that we are talking about two separate issues, and the message is getting lost.

My husband and his brother have been very supportive of their neighbors, having installed discounted new appliances in the One Love building, donated monetarily, given rides and spare change, loaned people their phones and other often unseen support. This is what they do, so it was not out of the ordinary for them to help their One Love neighbors.

These men built the building that houses their business with their own hands. They are hard-working guys who have built a loyal customer base over many years as small business owners. They are not greedy businessmen and are not insensitive to the needs of the unhoused.

However, when they must repeatedly clean human waste off their property and pick up trash left behind when they get to work in the morning, patience runs thin. I understand that other local businesses have similar concerns. There are only a few people responsible for disrespecting them and their property this way, but it must be stopped. One Love provides valuable services, but issues like this have a way of casting a shadow over the good.

There is absolutely a need to address the issue of the unhoused in our community. Individuals and families who have lost everything must be given the tools to get into the job market and return to self-sufficiency if they are able to do so.

Select Newsletters to Sign Up For

Individuals who are mentally ill and/or addicts must be given adequate support and treatment. No one chooses to be in such dire circumstances, but it is sadly a reality that cannot be ignored. Parents should be able to keep their children safe with adequate shelter. Yes, there are government entitlement programs, but this is not always readily available in a crisis situation.

Information regarding availability of affordable housing, transportation services, medical and mental health services should have a centralized database much like East Texas Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse provides for addiction services.

This is a serious issue that will require a lot of time, discussion, careful planning and foresight from our local government, healthcare providers, direct care providers and business leaders. Individuals requiring these services should be included in the conversation as they will know more than most what services our community is lacking.

In the meantime, letÐÔÊӽ紫ý™s address the issue of treating each other with respect, dignity and compassion.

Communication is not about raising your voice to be heard over others but is a respectful dialogue involving listening, understanding and addressing everyoneÐÔÊӽ紫ý™s needs. LetÐÔÊӽ紫ý™s hit the reset button and work on this together as a community.

ÐÔÊӽ紫ý” Sally Moseley is a Longview resident.